Tuesday, July 8, 2008

music obsession

I would love if I could just be given this sum of money every month that I could ONLY use to purchase music. I love music, good music, new music. I have a habit of finding a song that says everything I need it to say and then getting obsessed with it.

Case in point: FLOBOTS:

Specifically 'Handlebars' by Flobots. I admit that the first time I heard this song, I hated it. It seemed childish, monotonous and repetitive. Of course, I also didn't make it past the first repetition of "I can ride my bike with no handlebars." And that was where my fatal flaw was. The song is about building up to this moment where a choice is made and everything depends on the choice. So of course the song just gets better and better and better...and better. It's one of those songs that when you first hear it (and the next time and the next time) you don't fully understand everything going on.

And those are always the best songs, aren't they? The ones that speak to you and keep speaking to you, no matter the mood. Those are the songs that stay with you. The songs that follow you into your dreams, that you wake up to, that you find yourself humming along with as you cook food (or at least I do, anyway).
Anyway, my recommendation (at least after you've visited FLOBOTS' purevolume page and listened to all of their awesome songs) is to expand your horizons even further and try out a wonderful music-discovery site by the name of Pandora. The problem with a lot of songs, for me, is that you often hear them too often on the radio. Often, they start out good and then they just turn annoying as you hear them more and more. Pandora is chock full of songs that you've never heard of, or at least rarely heard. It's a great place to stoke your music obsession.

No comments:

Post a Comment