Saturday, June 14, 2008

Smoke inhalation


Above is an AP picture of smoke from a wildfire devastating the Great Dismal Swamp. While I do care that this natural landmark and essential ecosystem is being slowly destroyed (as many other areas have been consumed by fire), this one has actually directly affected me. It's really sad when forest fires can be so huge that I am having trouble breathing, my eyes are watering and I am sneezing, while the fire remains miles and miles away. Quite disturbing. I feel for the firefighters who are out there in it trying to get this thing under control and asthma sufferers in this area who are probably having even worse trouble than I am. Sadly this fire will be continuing for quite some time.

In other news, I have two more bylines at a professional paper under my belt. Granted both are for area graduations, but they are good six-inch stories, with one highlighting my ability to write on deadline. And, I would say its a pretty good achievement to get both of these done and be a copy editor who also has to stay all night to read stories and get headlines written for them. Needless to say, I have a lack of photos to share, due mostly in part to a lack of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment