Saturday, July 3, 2010

A quick and easy breakfast



This was literally the first "meal" I made as a child and it was a stand-by all through middle school and high school, when I would often have to get ready for school alone. On a recent morning I opened the fridge and stared for what seemed an age. I couldn't think of anything to eat. As my gaze traveled around the fridge key ingredients for my old stand-by caught my eye and I knew it was time to resurrect the recipe. So here it is in all it's simple glory: my favorite egg sandwich. Sounds boring, but the right sauce makes all the difference.

Egg Sandwich with Relish-mustard-mayo

1 egg
2 slices of bread, toasted
1 dollop of mayonnaise
2 dollops of spicy brown mustard (I recommend Guilden)
1 tbsp sweet relish with some of the liquid drained
1 tsp. cumin
Spice for the egg while it's cooking: Oregano, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper (amounts depend on what you like).

1. Heat up olive oil in a small pan.
2. Once the oil is just rippling, crack an egg into the pan. Break the yolk if that's what you're into (I am). Season the first side as you wish. I recommend oregano, chili powder and cumin, plus the usual salt and pepper.
3. While the egg is frying mix the mayonnaise, mustard, relish and cumin. I don't really have exact measurements, but you can make a lot so you can always have some on hand. Just keep in mind that the basic mayo to mustard ratio is 1 to 2.
4. Flip the egg before the first side is completely done. This allows you to season that side and cook the spices into the egg.
5. Toast the bread, spread the mixture on both pieces (you'll want as much of the yummy sauce as the toast can stand) and put your completed egg on that. ENJOY.










No comments:

Post a Comment