Wednesday, July 20, 2011

"We're experimenting with some volatile herbs, dude..."

My weekend of weeding and mulching culminated in me finally biting the bullet and buying some herbs.
I hadn't yet because I was hopeful I might be able to grow some from seeds. But my mint died tragically and without warning, so I decided to hedge my bets. I still my try to get some seedlings later, but for now I'll just enjoy my fully grown and thriving - and did I mention organic? - herbs. My first round was a robust mint (for tea, mojitos and dog biscuits), a sprawling oregano and tall stand of rosemary. I plan to supplement them with more herbs later, but this is a good start.

I planted rosemary and oregano together in one planter:


The mint's voracious nature relegated it to a separate pot:


The particular mint I picked was already pretty large, so hopefully I'll be able to make a lot of mint tea and dog biscuits.

I've already made a delicious 30-minute corn chowder, which was made more delicious with fresh oregano and rosemary. I'll share that recipe soon. I plan to add some parsley and thyme to my collection and possibly some cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment