Sunday, August 21, 2011

CSA Week 15: Challenges

I used to think that getting items that I've never or rarely cooked with would be the challenge of getting CSA deliveries. Not so. Turns out it's a whole lot more difficult to be creative when you are faced with using the same vegetables over and over again. That's how I ended up throwing a few yellow squash and a whole lot of cucumber away a few weeks into the program. I know, I know. Shame on me. But I suppose this week's delivery is an opportunity to make up for it:


That's right. 4 yellow squash and 3 cucumbers. Plus, I'm finding it hard to think of anything but corned beef and cabbage to utilize that admittedly gorgeous head of cabbage. But why fight it,  right? My husband is a fan and it's kind of in my blood. I suppose I'll be picking up corned beef at the grocery store today.

Price breakdown

  • 1 head of cabbage: $5.92
  • 2 pints of cherry tomatoes: $7.98
  • 10 ears of corn: $9.18
  • 4 yellow squash: $6.73
  • 3 cucumbers: $5.37
      • Total: $35.17
    • Total savings: $14.17

No comments:

Post a Comment