Wednesday, June 2, 2010

NaBloPoMo: Favorite poem

National Blog Posting Month started yesterday. This month's theme is "Now." It is actually a very interesting theme. And this month they've also created writing prompts for the weekdays. Now I've never really had problems coming up with new posts, but when I connect with a prompt I will definitely use it. Yesterday the prompt involved what you wanted to be as a child. As you can see, it's a subject that has been occupying me recently.

Today I am prompted to reveal my favorite poem, or explain why I don't have one. I've always enjoyed poetry, with some of my favorite poets including William Shakespeare, Langston Hughes and Robert Frost. While I love "Sonnet 18" by Shakespeare and "A Dream Deferred" by Hughes, recently I've been discovering some poems by Frost that I hadn't read before. My current favorite is called "A Passing Glimpse," which was published in a collection entitled West-Running Brook. I have always been enamored with how Frost utilizes simple lines to reveal complex truths, and this poem is a prime example of that quality.


A Passing Glimpse
Robert Frost

I often see flowers from a passing car

That are gone before I can tell what they are.


I want to get out of the train and go back

To see what they were beside the track.


I name all the flowers I am sure they weren't;

Not fireweed loving where woods have burnt--


Not bluebells gracing a tunnel mouth--

Not lupine living on sand and drouth.


Was something brushed across my mind

That no one on earth will ever find?


Heaven gives its glimpses only to those

Not in position to look too close.

No comments:

Post a Comment