Saturday, May 21, 2011

CSA Week 2: Sweet surprises


This week's haul includes another pound of strawberries, about a pound of baby red potatoes, 3 cucumbers, five peaches, a green pepper and more sugar snap peas than I know what to do with. Luckily, the husband is crazy about just snacking on these guys raw. That, and I'm sure there will be many stir-fries in our future. I wonder if they hold up in the freezer. Fresh sugar snaps in the middle of winter? Yes, please.

And no, these guys aren't snow peas. There's a subtle difference, I agree, but sugar snaps tend to be rounder - like this plump guy above - while true snow peas are flat. The difference is also slight, but sugar snaps are juicier and often sweeter. And yes, they are absolutely delicious raw.

Price breakdown
There are no organic red potatoes, peaches or snaps at Harris Teeter, so this week's price difference isn't quite as astounding as the the first week. But I'm still saving money and enjoying some crazy awesome fruits and veggies along the way.

  • 1 pound of organic strawberries: $4.99
  • 3 organic cucumbers: $4.77
  • 1 organic green bell pepper: $1.99
  • 5 peaches: $6.54
  • 1 pound of red potatoes: $2.97
  • 2 pounds of sugar snap peas: $7.98
        • TOTAL: $29.24
The savings this week is only $8.24, but I bet that total price would go up if I could find organic versions of the potatoes, peas and peaches. No organic produce brings the total down to a little less than $26, so I'm still saving, as usual. Anyway, can't wait to get my cook on!

No comments:

Post a Comment