Monday, November 3, 2008

The craziness may soon be over....

This was my first election season in a professional newsroom. Meant to be the highlight of any serious "newsie's" career, this year has actually been more of a bummer. So many stories that are 'new' just repeat old news and the same old sound bite. And just as I thought it was coming to an end...well, thanks for getting my hopes up and then dashing them, Mr. Newspaper Reporter.

At the end of a story breaking down when results will be reported across the country, the writer finishes his story with this wonderful promise: "And then it's all over...Or not. As the past two elections have shown, there’s no certainty. If it’s a contest at all, the victor may not be declared until Wednesday’s wee hours. Or later."
Which means I may be in the newsroom until well past 1 a.m. for tomorrow's shift waiting to inform all the sane people who went to bed at a normal hour of the name of the new President of the United States as they eat their breakfast in the morning. I will also have been up since 8 am that day, waiting in the expected huge lines to cast my own vote. Yay for democracy and the free press.

I'm excited, though, because being in a real newsroom on election night is exciting. Unfortunately, I've also been in a real newsroom five nights a week, every week since May (it is my job, you know). Which means the election has lost its "exciting" glamour for me. I will be getting free food, including sandwiches and Krispy Kreme doughnuts, however. Plus I guess it'll be nice to finally hear what the past year has been leading up to.

PS: I'm participating in NaBloPoMo (National Blog Posting Month). So this means I will be posting every single day for the month of November. My goal is to not resort to something completely frivolous and attempt to stick with the professional nature of this blog. Let's see if I can accomplish this task, even with me being a notoriosly lousy poster.

No comments:

Post a Comment