Sunday, November 9, 2008

Forests of our memory...

Memory is a very volatile entity. One memory that you thought was forever lost can come running back to you in an instant with just a hint of a smell, a touch...even a photo. I think that's why I am so obsessed with photography. I generally don't take photos because they have some cosmic interplay of light and color that can be considered 'art.' While I do view photography as art, for me the medium is about capturing a moment in time. It can be something you want to remember forever or a timeless scene. But in my mind, it's generally a moment that reminds of me another one that I thought long gone.
Like the one above. When I saw it I instantly thought of my time in London with my father. There was something about the interplay of rain and English ivy that had those good times returning to my mind in an instant. Whenever I glance a the photo I can do nothing but smile, usually inwardly and with a touch of sadness. But it's my memory, and I love it to death, just like this photo.
It's the fact that I know I can always look to this photo to jog those particular memories that gives me a sort of peace.
I hope you enjoy it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment