Saturday, November 15, 2008

Mouthwatering Morocco

So one of my favorite experiences in Morocco was the food. Until you eat lunch where the ingredients were slaughtered/picked that morning, you cannot possibly understand the taste of Moroccan food. I'm not even joking. Such food has the ability to heighten your senses to a level you never thought possible. Suddenly you are enjoying a depth of taste you never imagined could come from food. It's that amazing.
One of my favorites foods from my time in Morocco was bastilla, seen above in the unique single-portion (food in Morocco is traditionally served platter style, from which everyone grabs handfuls - not fork/spoonfuls - and chows down). Bastilla is basically chicken (traditionally pigeon), eggs, almonds, ginger, cinnamon, pepper and cilantro wrapped in layers of buttery phyllo dough and fried. Powdered sugar and more cinnamon is sprinkled on top. It is an example of the sweet yet savory dishes that the U.S. has largely abandoned. And it is the most amazing food you will ever eat.
Because I have yet to actually make this dish, I will send you to a recipe from FabulousFoods.com. Try it and let me know how it goes. I'll do the same if I ever get brave enough (and nostalgic enough) to try this dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment